In today’s Navy, everything is lethal. Our guns are lethal. Our missiles are lethal. Our base housing is lethal. Now, even our public affairs are lethal. Whenever we encounter a narrative that’s unflattering to the Navy, we kill it by suppressing negative commentary and boosting positive commentary. #PAOlethality baby!!!
Our reputation as the world’s greatest Navy is under attack, and we are #semperfortis! Actual reform and investment? These things take time. Our spokesmen and women are ready to #fighttonight!
But we need your help! This is a #deckplateleadership issue! Quite frankly, its disappointing that you’ve allowed so many negative stories to surface recently. From base housing conditions, to collisions at sea, to Fat Leonard…your leadership failures have really let us down. To fix your mistakes, we created the PAO Lethality Task Force, and we developed 1,396 initiatives, 1,391 of which have already been implemented (what have you done lately?). Here’s a sampling of what we’ve already accomplished:
- We directed flag officers to reduce communications with the press. #gagorder
- We restricted public access to aviation mishap data. #needtoknow
- We stopped publicly announcing the names of officials fired for misconduct. #looselipssinkships
- We stopped publicly announcing flag officer nominations. #OPSECIguess?
- Our Chief of Information personally boosted commentary supportive to “Big Navy.” #definitelyNOTunlawfulcommandinfluence
- We repeatedly quote MCPON verbatim whenever anyone posts a critical comment to the CNO Facebook Live All Hands Call. #overwhelmingforce
And here’s what we need from YOU:
- For God’s sake, get your family in line! Just don’t let them talk to anyone, especially not on social media. If they complain about something, just tell them to stop being entitled snowflakes and get #Navytough!
- Whatever you do, DO NOT communicate with ProPublica, so help me…
- When Grammy asks you what you do in the Navy, look her straight in the eye and tell her “You’ll get the Navy America needs, and that’s all you need to know!” #OPSECsaveslives
- Do not post anything online unless its an official navy.mil story. Commentary from Bryan McGrath is also okay. #BigNavyiswatching
- If something happens on your watch that might garner media attention, immediately classify the information in the interest of national security. #AmericaFirst!
Remember, shipmates, winning the battle of the narrative is up to you! To paraphrase one of our great leaders, if you can’t control the narrative and accomplish the mission with the resources you have, we’ll find someone who will!
#corevalues #hooyah #lethalPAOlethality!